Monday, July 11, 2016

Nonfiction Phrasing

I have actually woken up in the middle of the night pondering the use of nonfiction cues to build reading fluency. Why? Because some of my students struggle to grasp understanding of nonfiction text due to fluency.

Phrasing is a strategy that is easy to begin incorporating in my reading program. Serravallo shares that one can use high frequency phrasing as a warm-up. Students should practice reading the phrases in one breadth and reminding them that when they know a word or two they will know the next words that go together.

I plan on choosing 5 to 10 phrases a week and reading them together as a daily routine. Thus far, I  have compiled a list of 25 words/phrases used frequently in nonfiction text. Feel free and download and use in your class.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2QQNsq2vv0ScWRENE9Sal9tcGc/view?usp=sharing


Do you have other nonfiction words/phrases you think I need to add?


No comments :

Post a Comment

We love comments.